Experiencing internet problems?
The Whisky Online Server has a high specification and it runs well within its capabilities. If the Server ever begins to reach 50% of capacity then we would look to upgrade it in time for the next auction. It is also monitored regularly and throughout the evening of the auction close and any developing situation can be dealt with immediately. As with all IT platforms errors and mistakes can happen and the Server may fail, but Server failure is a rare event and can usually be fixed very quickly. Sometimes, some customers experience connection problems that can only have been the result of exceptional external factors beyond our control.
Most common causes for disruption to the Internet:
There are many reasons why your Internet connection can fail. Let's take a look at some of the most common reasons why, external to our system, you may find yourself sitting behind a computer screen, unable to load a webpage or send an email.
01. Failed link to Internet provider Power outages, construction work weather conditions can disrupt wiring and cause Internet failures. Even connections from abroad or other regions can be affected by failure in another area. If possible have a second network provider as backup.
02. Congestion or Contention An overload of people, all trying to access the internet from the same network point is the most common cause of internet outages. You may have faced this type of problem in either a library, hotels, a crowded office or in a local area and the root cause for this is the circuit gridlocks, causing webpages not to load.
03. Failing switches/ routers Connections on the Internet are made by many switches and routers, any one of them can fail at any time. Power fluctuations can also cause a problem, as they often "confuse" switches and routers within the network. If you are constantly rebooting your internet, then failing switches and routers could be the problem you are facing.
04. Outage with a "backbone" internet Network Most internet service providers have thousands of "backbone" networks all around the country, which means if the backbone network in your area goes down, so will your internet.
05. Devices and Software It is important to keep your devices and software up-to-date and use the best Internet Service Provider you can afford for fast download speeds. If you like to have several windows open and view all the lots on one page you are asking any older devices and browsers with slow speeds to process a lot of information. This could slow your system down, the answer is to minimise the number of windows you have open and view a smaller number of lots on any page.
06. Blocked IP Addresses A Shared IP address can be blocked from accessing the Server if it is listed in online spam blacklists. This can happen if someone on your network in your area has been blacklisted. This is usually a temporary issue that lasts a few hours. Between construction work, thunderstorms, wind, equipment failure and power problems, anything can happen to your link at almost any time. These types of outages and problems are much more likely than internal equipment failures.
Our Solution (The Whisky-Online Auction Saftey Net) Auction Extension:
In the event that the end of auction is approaching and it is apparent that a significant number of people are experiencing problems connecting to the auction website (for whatever reason), then a decision will be made to extend the auction to give everyone a fair and equal chance to bid in the auction. The length of extension will be dependent on the network conditions at the time. How long will the extension be? The minimum extension will be 30 minutes and up to 24hrs dependant on the situation that arises.